Saturday, October 25, 2008

Easter Rising
By Michael Patrick MacDonald
comments -
1. I hadn't slept in two days because I had to help Kevin hide out from Ma and from the cops who'd come to the door to ask about him.
2. "God, what was up with that white - trash yahoo you were talking to?" Rona asked. "Just a neighbor," I said not thinking. "You're from Southie?" she asked."Well, um... I used to be" I hesitated. "More like the border between Southie and Dorchester.
3. "In what way does everything look different?' The admissions lady asked me. I didn't want to tell her how it felt to come from Southie and what it would be like to go back home. I just told her that things made me worried in Boston seemed okay here and I didn't have to worry about any of it.
4. "Forget about it now," Grandpa kept repeating, even though I wasn't the one bringing it up. "Forget it ever happened at all." That's what he'd been saying every time I visited him in the City Point condo be'd been living in alone since Nana died. He said I should get on with my life, tell no one about Frankie getting killed in a bank heist. He said to forget I was from the projects, even though I still lived there.
5.I had spent years trying to find a life beyond Old Colony, and now after Frankie died, I felt guilty for not having been close to my family.
Questions -
1. Why didn't Mike tell any other family members that Kevin was hiding in his room when he left him alone to go to New York?
2. Why didn't Michael stop his friends from stealing from Whitey's store, when he knew how dangerous it was?
3. Why would Michael's grandfather tell him to forget about his own brothers death and where he came from?
4. Why did the family lie about the way Frankie died when it was in the paperws and on the news?
vocabulary -
1.contradictions -page116 A denial.
2. depictions - page116 to represent or characterize in words; describe.
3. catacomb -page125 an underground passageway, esp. one full of twists and turns.
literay terms -
setting - New York City, the Ratclub and Grandpa's condo in City Point.
exposition - kevin tries to steal a car and ends up hurt and on the run from the police. Michael hides him in his room.
outline -
Michael is spending a lot more time in New York until his brother Frankie dies during a bank robbery. Now Michael feels he needs to spend more time at home with his family and his Grandfather, who tells him he has to move on past the tragedy.

No comments: