Friday, May 1, 2009

Cat's Cradle

Comments-
1. "My sister Angela tells me I used to play with toy trucks for hours making motor sounds."
2. "Anyway, father looked at that loop of string for a while, and then his fingers started playing with it. His fingers made the string figure called a cat's cradle."
3. "Making that cat's cradle was the closest I ever saw my father come to playing what anybody would call a game."
4. "Father would say, Why should I bother with made-up games when there are so many real ones going on?"
5. "I have to sign off here. It's after 2am. My roommate just woke up and complained about the noise from the typewriter."
Questions-
1. What did the father mean when he said, "why should he bother with made up games when there are so many real ones?"
2. What about playing with the string, made the father want to play with his son?
3. Why did the boy get so upset when the father wanted to play with him?
4. Why didn't Newton think he hurt his father by crying and running away?
Vocabulary-
1. Unsung- Not celebrated in song or verse.
2. Incidentally- Apart or aside from the main subject of attention.
3. Enterprising- Ready to undertake projects of importance or difficulty, or untried schemes.
Literary Terms-
1. Setting- Ilium, NY.
2. Exposition- Newton talks about how strange his father was and that he was usually very serious.
Outline-
1. Newton writes about how he was kicked out of medical school and that he can only remember that his father was not a playful type so when he tries to play with the boy, he scares him.

No comments: